Monday, December 5, 2011

Sleep in Heavenly Peace

Pink Elephant is in that between stage. You know, the "I still need a nap but there is NO way I am admitting it" stage. I've tried all kinds of things... being on errands at naptime so she just dozes in the car, trying in vain to get her to just plain nap in her room, letting her use my bed as a treat, skipping naptime and putting her to bed earlier (which just means she's up even earlier the next morning...).
Today I got her to lay on the couch and cover up with a blanket, and I put in Babe for both PE and BE to watch.
Well, success! In 23 minutes, PE was out like a light... and BE was doing headstands on the couch- right next to her! Goodness, if it ain't one thing its another with that little male elephant! so now that BE has been sent upstairs to play legos, PE is dozing on the couch. Going on almost 2 hours of straight sleep, now! YAY for naptime actually happening in our house for once.
I don't think i can swing this routine everyday, with our crazy schedule and with BE already trying to come downstairs at least 5 times (just since i started writing this!) but it works for today.
which reminds me of a saying that my mom has repeated to me multiple times since i became a mother...
"whatever works in the moment, do that"... and with children (er, elephants..) I am so inclined to agree!
Today PE will sleep in heavenly peace.
Today I will not get to share in that heavenly peace...
Today BE will keep trying to come pell-mell rumble-tumble downstairs and risk waking her up!
But for this moment, its working... so we are gonna take what we can get!
Happy napping, my sweet Pink Elephant!

No comments:

Post a Comment