Saturday, August 6, 2011

Read Any Great Parenting Books, Lately?

Ha ha. Me, too. And me, neither. Now, lest I be chastised right out the gate (oh, who am I kidding, every move I make offends somebody, somewhere).. I have given multiple books a fair shot. The problem is that they are all saying the exact opposite from eachother. Spank. Don't spank. Show 'em who's boss. Let them lead the way. Be easy going. Be firm.
With all the contradictions out there, and still the same children to raise, what's a girl to do?
Take it day by day, I guess. Each day brings its own challenges, its own events, and its own struggles. One day its little Miss Sunshine and Mr Happy Pants the next its Crabby Face and Pouty Pants....
I admit, my own moods vary from day to day (some people would tell you that I am just down right neurotic, but they are the haters, just sayin'). and I should expect that my children's moods will, as well. I can totally allow for that. What I can't allow for is house rules being disregarded just because BE and PE dont "feel" like obeying that day. Respect is a huge must in our house.
We say please and thank you, yes ma'am and yes sir, excuse me, and I'm sorry. Did I get that idea from a parenting book? Nope, just old fashioned manners.
What happens when the kids disregard the rules? Well, now that is what is currently being tweaked at our house. How will we choose to respond?
All the "best" parenting books in the world cannot provide a fail-safe method for raising great kids.
But I really love what my friend told me the other day "the only book that is 100% accurate is the Bible, so go with that". 
And it is that concept which I will strive to remember.
-Ephesians 4:14-16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment